AFMC Pune is one of the finest medical colleges in India. The college provides admission to various Graduate, Post-Graduate, Post- Doctoral medical & nursing courses. The aspirant getting admission to AFMC, Pune has an advantage of assured career prospects in defence services. The college is recognized by the National Medical Commission (NMC) and is affiliated with the Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik. It is one of the best AFMS (Armed Forces Medical Services) institutions.
Here, at AFMC, candidates getting admission for the MBBS course are:
- liable to serve in the Armed Forces Medical Service as medical officers
- also commissioned as officers of the Indian Armed Forces, along with becoming a doctor.
MBBS at AFMC Pune
MBBS is a 4-and-a-half-year course followed by a compulsory one-year rotational internship in the selected service hospitals recognized by the National Medical Commission (NMC). At AFMC, admission norms are prescribed by the Directorate General Armed Forces Medical Services (AFMS), the Ministry of Defence, and the Government of India. The candidates aspiring for admission at this college must be both physically and mentally fit. They must have exceptional leadership qualities and excellent communication skills. An aspirant must fulfill the medical fitness standards and other criteria to become eligible for admission.
Eligibility Criteria For Admission to MBBS at AFMC Pune
A Candidate is required to fulfill the below-mentioned eligibility criteria for the MBBS admission at AFMC, Pune:
- An aspirant must be an Indian citizen, except the 05 Govt. sponsored candidates from Friendly Foreign Countries.
- A candidate must be unmarried and is not allowed for marriage during the course.
- The candidate must have attained the age of 17 years on 31st December of the admission year and the age at the time of admission must not exceed 24 years.
- A candidate must be medically fit according to the prescribed standards by the Govt. of India, Ministry of Defence.
- A candidate must have passed the higher secondary/Pre-university/equivalent examination/B.Sc. examination in the first attempt with Physics, Chemistry, Biology (including practical examination of all three science subjects), and English from the recognized university/board.
- A candidate should have a minimum of 50% marks in each subject (Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and English) and a minimum of 60% aggregate in all three science subjects.
- Regarding the Mathematics subject requirement: If a candidate was not having a mathematics subject in the senior secondary, then, he/she must have passed the mathematics examination in the tenth standard. A certificate signed by the school authority (Principal) of the tenth standard is required to be submitted at the time of the interview. If in case, a candidate has not opted for mathematics in the tenth standard, he/she has the option of submitting the documents of the B.Sc. with Mathematics as an additional subject.
Admission Process at AFMC, Pune:
- An aspirant has to mandatorily qualify NEET-UG examination with a minimum score of 50th percentile conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA) for MBBS admission at AFMC, Pune.
- Eligible candidates interested in admission to AFMC Pune for MBBS are asked to fill out the registration form for counseling & admission prior.
- The list of the shortlisted candidates based on the NEET-UG merit list and who have registered for counseling is displayed on the AFMC official website for the screening process.
- The shortlisted candidates must appear for the screening test at AFMC, Pune. As per the data for 2022, a total of 1700 shortlisted candidates (1380 boys and 360 girls) were called for the screening procedure.
- The final merit list for the boys and girls is drawn separately, based on the NEET-UG score and the screening test score.
NEET-UG Exam Pattern for MBBS admission:
The NEET-UG exam is conducted by National Testing Agency (NTA) once a year. The following are some important points to keep in mind:
|Exam Mode||Offline (pen & paper based)|
|Type of Examination||Multiple choice questions|
|Total number of questions||200 questions (180 MCQs must be answered)|
|NEET total marks||720 marks|
|Marking scheme||+4 for each correct answer
and -1 for every incorrect answer
|Total duration||3hrs 20 mins|
|Languages||The exam is conducted in 13 different languages, namely, English, Hindi, Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Malayalam, Kannada, Marathi, Odia, Tamil, Telugu, Urdu, and Punjabi|
NEET Exam Section-wise Distribution:
In all 4 Subjects, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Zoology, there are two sections. Section A comprises 35 questions while section B comprises 15 questions, out of which 10 are to be answered. Each question carries 4 marks.
Screening Test at AFMC Pune:
- Screening Test includes the Test of English Language, Comprehension, Logic, and Reasoning (ToELR), Psychological Assessment Test (PAT), Interview, and Medical Examination.
- ToELR is a Computer-based Test (CBT) of 30 minutes duration, which consists of 40 MCQs, each of 2.0 marks. There will be a negative marking of 0.5 for every incorrect answer.
- The ToELR test is followed by an interview of 50 marks by a panel of judges. The interview questions can be from general awareness and knowledge, interests, and personality along with the core subjects.
- The candidate with the NCC/Sports participation at various levels and the wards of officers/JCOs/ ORs are given due weightage.
- Psychological Assessment Test (PAT) is just a qualifying examination, and the score is not considered in the final merit list.
- The screening merit list will be based on the final score obtained.
- The candidates are required to bring all the original documents along with the NEET-UG admit card and score card at the time of screening.
How to calculate your Final Written Exam Score?:
- Add your NEET (UG) 2022 score (720 points) to your ToELR score (80 points) and divide by 4 to get 200 points.
- The final merit list is based on the total score received in the Written exam (200 points) and Interview score (50 points).
Medical Examination at AFMC, Pune:
All the candidates called for screening are subjected to the medical board constituted by the Director & Commandant AFMC. All the medical fitness standards and criteria are set up by the medical board prescribed for grant of commission in the Army Medical Corps and the decision of the Commandant, AFMC.
If a candidate is found unfit by the medical board, he/she has an option of Appeal Medical Board constituted by the Commandant AFMC. A candidate can apply for an appeal to the Commandant, AFMC, and the decision of the board is considered final.
Few Guidelines regarding the Medical Examination for MBBS admission at AFMC Pune:
- A candidate must not have any serious deformities or organ dysfunction.
- There should be no evidence of an active or previous history of STDs or HIV infection.
- A candidate must be mentally and psychologically fit with no disorders.
- The minimum height of the male cadets is 157 cm (for North-Eastern males, 152 cm), and for the female cadets, is 152 cm (for North-Eastern Females, 147 cm).
- The Body Mass Index must be below 27.
- There are specified criteria for visual and hearing standards and the Lasik procedure.
- For detailed information regarding the medical criteria, a candidate must visit the official site of AFMC, Pune.
Number of seats:
There are a total of 150 seats of which 5 seats are for government-sponsored NEET-UG qualified candidates from friendly foreign countries, under the aid/collaboration programs.
Among the 145 seats,
- 115 seats are for boys,
- 30 seats are for girls
A total of 10 seats are reserved for the SC/ST candidates (from the seats allocated to boys & girls).
Guardians/parents are required to sign a bond agreement of Sixty-three lakh rupees (Rs. 63,00,000) at the time of admission as per the revising college guidelines and rules. Any candidate withdrawing admission after 7 days of confirmation will have to pay bond money.
In any case, if any medical cadet is removed/opted out from the service liability after passing the MBBS examination, the NOC for joining the internship will only be given after paying the bond money and clearing all the dues. All the candidates must pay Rs. 28,116 per week for the training.
AFMC MBBS Cut-off:
A candidate aspiring to get admission in MBBS at AFMC Pune must score a minimum of 50th percentile in the NEET-UG examination to get shortlisted.
The final merit list for the boys and girls is drawn separately, based on the NEET-UG score and the screening test score. It varies on the number of candidates category-wise.
The estimated NEET Cut-off score from a total of 720 marks is around:
- 600 marks for boys
- 620 marks for girls
The estimated cut-off score post-interview is around
- 160/250 for girls
- 150/250 for boys
Fee Charges at AFMC, Pune:
Fees and other costs payable by medical candidates are specified in the manual, which will be available online on the college’s official website: www.afmc.nic.in and www.afmcdg1d.gov.in at the time of admission and counseling.
Hostel Facility: All the candidates must compulsorily stay in the campus hostel. There are separate hostels for boys and girls along with the mess facility.
To get conceptual clarity in MBBS courses online, click here.
Postgraduate Admission (MD/MS) at AFMC, Pune
AFMC, Pune provides admission to post-graduate (MD/MS) courses in various specializations. AFMS conducts postgraduate training for the doctors of AFMS to fulfill specialists’ requirements. Additional vacant seats are allotted to civilian doctors and other sponsored candidates of friendly foreign countries, para-military & other govt. organizations and ex-servicemen.
Priority/category for admission:
Admission to the PG courses is controlled by the office of the DGAFMS. There is a priority list in AFMC, Pune, and other AFMS institutions for the admission of candidates to postgraduate courses. The priority list is mentioned below:
- Priority-I: This category includes the AFMS Officers as per the NMC/NBE guidelines.
- Priority- II: The govt. sponsored foreign students come under this category.
- Priority-III: The medical officers sponsored by the Para-military organization/other govt. of India organizations are included in this category.
- Priority-IV: This category includes Ex-SSC AMC officers who were released from duty after fulfilling their contractual obligations and within three years of that release.
- Priority- V: Civilian candidates come at Priority-V. These candidates are required to submit a bond agreement by the Govt. of India at the time of PG seat allotment. If they are unwilling to join AFMS post PG course completion, they will have to pay the bond amount.
All the candidates are required to fulfill the eligibility criteria and the medical standards.
Admission procedure for MD/MS courses:
- All the candidates are required to qualify NEET-PG examination.
- Register and opt for AFMS on the Medical Counseling Committee website to be eligible for admission at AFMS institutes.
- Keep the counseling slip safe to be produced at the time of physical counseling.
- The merit list of the candidates who have successfully secured a minimum of 50th percentile in the NEET-PG examination and have registered on the DGHS/MCC website for AFMS counseling will be displayed.
- After the first counseling round, the candidates desiring to sit in the mop-up counseling round will have to register for the same to be eligible.
- The selected candidates are required to submit the original documents at the time of admission.
- Priority-III candidates must bring a signed subject-specific sponsorship certificate to sit for the counseling.
- Priority-IV candidates require the released orders and movement orders from the respective departments to be eligible to sit in the counseling session.
A doctor seeking admission to postgraduate courses in AFMC, Pune, or any other AFMS institution will have to serve for 5 years in AFMS (Armed Forces Medical Services).
All civilian candidates getting admission to AFMC, Pune, and other AFMS institutions for Postgraduate Degree will have to sign a bond of 54 lakhs to a maximum of 60 lakh rupees. The amount of the bond is subject to be revised every academic year. Any candidate unwilling to serve as a medical officer post PG course or withdraws their admission in between will have to pay the bond amount to the college.
Eligibility Criteria for MD/MS admission:
- Any candidate who has completed their MBBS from NMC-recognized colleges can register for admission to medical PG courses.
- The candidate must be an Indian citizen.
- Priority-II candidates must have completed the MBBS degree/equivalent examination. The candidate is also required to qualify for the NEET-PG Examination and apply for temporary registration in NMC under NMC Act.
- A candidate pursuing a PG course cannot apply for any other PG course at the same time.
- If any priority-III candidate wants to withdraw the admission after the seat allotment has to mandatorily submit an application signed by the designated authority of the sponsoring organization.
Specific Age Criteria for Priority-V (Civilian Candidates):
- The age of the candidate at the time of admission must be less than 30 years.
- If a candidate fails to complete the PG course before crossing 35 years of age, he/she will not be eligible to serve in AFMS. The candidate will also have to pay the training cost, which is Rs. 36,551/- per week to Govt. of India.
- If in case the candidate denies serving the AFMS for 5 years, will have to pay Rs. 54,50,000/- as per the bond agreement.
Number of Seats:
The number of seats available for the PG courses is subject to the availability of the number of PG teachers, the student-teacher ratio, and other criteria laid down by the Board of Governors in suppression of NMC and affiliated universities from time to time.
The estimated number of seats for the MD/MS course at AFMC, Pune is listed below:
|S.No.||PG Degree||Specialization||Total Number of seats|
|4||MD||Dermatology, Venereology, & Leprosy||4|
|9||MD||Immuno Haematology & Blood Transfusion||10|
|16||MD||Radio Diagnosis/ Radiology||7|
|17||MD||Respiratory Medicine/ TB||3|
|18||MD||Social & Preventive Medicine/ Community Medicine||12|
|22||MS||Obstetrics & Gynecology||8|
Candidates are required to check the official AFMS website before the commencement of the counseling in a particular academic year for the exact number of seats in various disciplines at various AFMS institutions.
The actual fee structure and stipend are all informed at the time of admission itself.
General aspects to note:
- Stipend: The candidates under Priority-IV and V shall only be provided the stipend as per the norms.
- Accommodation: The accommodation is provided to all the PG candidates, except the Priority-IV and V.
- Security Deposit: All the admitting candidates must deposit Rs.10,000/- as a security deposit.
How does DigiNerve help a medico?
DigiNerve is an EdTech initiative of Jaypee Brothers, pioneers, and leaders in health science publishing with over 50 years of tradition. Deliver premium medical content to enhance conceptual clarity, clinical skills, and trial excellence.
DigiNerve is second to none when it comes to course level, subject diversity, gold standard faculty, and user-friendly interface.
- DigiNerve provides the best online courses for his MBBS subjects developed by outstanding faculty according to the CBME syllabus and NEET exam.
|MBBS Online Courses||Course Faculty|
|Community Medicine for UnderGrads||Dr. Bratati Banerjee|
|Forensics Medicine and Toxicology for UnderGrads||Dr. Gautam Biswas|
|Medicine for UnderGrads||Dr. Archith Boloor|
|Microbiology for UnderGrads||Dr. Apurba S Sastry, Dr. Sandhya Bhat, Dr. Deepashree R|
|OBGYN for UnderGrads||Dr. K Srinivas|
|Ophthalmology for UnderGrads||Dr. Parul Ichhpujani, Dr. Talvir Sidhu|
|Orthopaedics for UnderGrads||Dr. Vivek Pandey|
|Pathology for UnderGrads||Prof. Harsh Mohan, Prof. Ramadas Nayak, Dr. Debasis Gochhait|
|Pediatrics for UnderGrads||Dr. Santoah T Soans, Dr. Soundarya Mahalingam|
|Pharmacology for UnderGrads||Dr Sandeep Kaushal, Dr. Nirmal George|
|Surgery for UnderGrads||Dr. Sriram Bhat M|
- The course provides highly illustrative video lectures as per the CBME Curriculum with lecture notes and self-assessment questions by India’s top faculty.
- DigiNerve also provides MD online courses, designed by the eminent medical faculty. These course provide evidence-based video lectures and notes, self-assessment questions, clinical case discussions, and regular chat shows.
|MD Online Courses||Faculty|
|OBGYN MD/||Dr. Aswath Kumar|
|Ophthalmology MD||Dr. N. Venkatesh Prajna|
|Pediatrics MD||Prof. Piyush Gupta|
- Apart from the MBBS and MD courses, DigiNerve brings the professional courses ‘Ultrasound in OBGYN Made Easy’ and ‘Basics of Infertility and IUI Made Easy’ by the top faculty Dr. Chaitanya Nagori and Dr. Sonal Panchal. After completion of the course, the candidates will earn a course completion certificate from Ian Donald Inter-University School of Medical Ultrasound.
- An Exam preparation course ‘Cracking MRCP Part 1’ by Dr. Gurpreet Singh Wander and Dr. Archith Boloor, helps a medico with their preparation to crack the MRCP exam. Cracking MRCP Part 1 course is based on the curriculum devised by The Royal College of Physicians (RCP). The course has 15 online modules covering major specialties such as Clinical Sciences, Cardiology, Gastroenterology, etc. The course includes video lectures, e-chapters, 2500+ BOF questions, mock exams, and most of all high-quality notes.
1. Can the candidates from Jammu & Kashmir get admission to AFMC for MBBS?
Ans: Candidates from Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh are eligible for admission to AFMC, Pune for the MBBS course.
2. How many MBBS seats are there in AFMC?
Ans: There are a total of 150 seats for MBBS in AFMC, Pune. Among the 145 seats, 115 seats are allocated for boys, and 30 seats are for girls. A total of 10 seats are reserved for the SC/ST candidates (from the seats allocated to boys & girls). The rest of the 5 seats are for government-sponsored NEET-UG qualified candidates from friendly foreign countries, under the aid/collaboration programs.
3. How can I join AFMC for MBBS?
Ans: An aspirant has to mandatorily qualify NEET-UG examination with a minimum score of 50th percentile conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA) for admission to AFMC Pune for MBBS.