Christian Medical College (CMC), Vellore is a private medical college, hospital, and research institute. CMC is one of the best private medical colleges in India. In and around Vellore, Tamil Nadu, India, this institute has a network of primary, secondary, and tertiary care hospitals. Dr. Ida Scudder is the founder of CMC Vellore. The college is affiliated with the Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University, Chennai. CMC, Vellore is approved by NMC (National Medical Commission). It is ranked as one of the top medical colleges in India. The institution offers admission to various disciplines of sciences: medical science, nursing, allied health sciences, some other master’s and doctoral programs, and post-graduate engineering programs.
The college offers admission to various programs including:
- Undergraduate medical course (MBBS)
- Medical postgraduate courses (diploma, degree, and higher speciality courses)
- Certification courses
- Postdoctoral fellowship courses
- Distance education program
- Undergraduate nursing program
- Nursing postgraduate courses (diploma, degree, and fellowships)
- Allied health sciences degree courses
- MBA in hospital and health systems management (HHSM)
- MS Bioengineering
- Tech. Clinical Engineering
- D. Medical Sciences
MBBS in CMC Vellore
MBBS is a four-and-a-half-year course followed by one year compulsory rotating residential internship. In CMC, Vellore, the MBBS course comes under the group A category. As per the CBME curriculum, the undergraduate course in medicine comprises three phases.
Three phases in MBBS Curriculum
|Phases in MBBS Curriculum||Duration||Subjects Included|
|1 (Pre-Clinical Phase)||13 months||Basic Sciences, Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Introduction to Community Medicine, Humanities, and Professional Development|
|2 (Para-Clinical Phase)||12 months||Pharmacology, Pathology, and Microbiology|
|3 (Clinical Phase)||Part 1: 13 months
Part 2: 13 months
|Forensic Medicine, Community Medicine, Ophthalmology, and Otorhinolaryngology.
Medicine and Allied Specialties, Surgery & Allied Specialties, Child Health, and Obstetrics & Gynecology.
Block postings and Internship at CMC Vellore
As per the guidelines of the National Medical Commission,
- Along with regular classes, medical students also have to undergo block postings after phase 1 of their MBBS course at community health centers, mission hospitals, and secondary care centers.
- A medical student also has to compulsorily complete the rotational internship for 12 months. They are posted in the discipline of community health, medicine, surgery, obstetrics & gynecology, orthopaedics, emergency medicine, and short elective subjects.
- At CMC, Vellore, the students are allocated community health centers, mission hospitals, and secondary care centers for internships.
Admission to the MBBS undergraduate course in CMC, Vellore solely depends on the NEET-UG score. An aspirant to get admission at CMC needs to qualify and crack the NEET-UG (National Eligibility cum Entrance Test) examination with a good score.
Eligibility to get admission at Christian Medical College
- Candidate must have completed 10+2 higher secondary schooling or equivalent examination, and the last two years of education must include Physics, Chemistry, and Biology/Biotechnology as major subjects with English from the Tamil Nadu State board or any other equivalent examination board.
- Candidates must have attained a minimum of 50% marks in all the subjects, Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Biotechnology, and English individually for the general category, and a minimum of 40% aggregate for BC, MBC, SC/ST candidates is required in a single attempt. The criteria mentioned are subject to change as per the state & university guidelines.
- At the time of admission, a candidate must have completed 17 years of age or should complete the mentioned on or before 31st December of the said year.
NEET-UG Exam Pattern for admission to MBBS at CMC Vellore
The NEET-UG exam is conducted by National Testing Agency (NTA) once a year. The following are some important points to keep in mind:
|Exam Mode||Offline (pen & paper based)|
|Type of Examination||Multiple choice questions|
|The total number of questions||200 questions (180 MCQs must be answered)|
|NEET total marks||720 marks|
|Marking scheme||+4 for each correct answer and -1 for every incorrect answer|
|Total duration||3hrs 20 mins|
|Languages||The exam is conducted in 13 different languages, namely, English, Hindi, Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Malayalam, Kannada, Marathi, Odia, Tamil, Telugu, Urdu, and Punjabi|
NEET Exam Section-wise Distribution:
In all 4 Subject sections, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Zoology, there are two sections, section A comprises 35 questions and section B comprises 15 questions out of which 10 are to be answered. Each question carries 4 marks.
Number of Seats for 2022-2023 at CMC, Vellore
The total number of MBBS candidate seats is 100 and the seat distribution is as follows:
- All India open category: 16 seats
a. One candidate is selected by Govt. of India under the ‘Central Pool Scheme’.
b. 20% i.e., 3 seats are reserved for the SC/ST candidates.
- Minority Network Category & CMC, Vellore staff quota: 84 Seats
Steps to get admission into CMC Vellore
- Fill out the application form for an undergraduate course from the CMC, Vellore official site.
- Provide your NEET application form details.
- Submission of the receipts of the certification forms from Minority Network Organizations (if applicable).
- Apply to the Tamil Nadu Selection Committee for the counseling process in the relevant category.
- The selection is based on the NEET-UG score and candidates are required to fill the NEET-UG score and rank on the CMC, Vellore admission site.
- Submission of the Arno & rank of TN Management Quota.
- Be updated with the release of the merit list.
- Counseling by Tamil Nadu Selection Committee, DME, Chennai.
All these steps are to be done in the stipulated period as provided by the college. So, be updated.
Admission Process after Counseling at CMC, Vellore
- After the counseling procedure, the candidate is required to register for the course by paying the tuition fees and completing other formalities, and submitting original certificates.
- The admission confirmation is approved by Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University. Until the approval, admission continues to be provisional.
- After the confirmation of the MBBS admission at CMC, Vellore, a candidate needs to submit their original required documents at the university campus.
- All the candidates getting admission to CMC, Vellore need to undergo a medical fitness check-up and the admission gets confirmed only after the medical fitness clearance by the Medical Board, CMC, Vellore.
MBBS Course Fee at CMC, Vellore
The fees to be paid at the time of registration for admissions to the MBBS course at CMC, Vellore is mentioned in the table below:
|Particulars||Fees (in rupees)|
|One-time College fee at Admission||10,300|
|Other Annual Fee||25,105|
|One-time payment to the University||14,425|
*The course fee may change in the coming years depending upon the University rules and regulations.
MBBS Cut-off at CMC, Vellore
Based upon the analysis of the previous years’ cut-offs, the estimated NEET-UG cut-off marks for the MBBS course for admission at CMC, Vellore are mentioned below:
|Category||Estimated Cut off Score|
To get the conceptual clarity on the MBBS courses online, click here.
Medical Postgraduate Courses at CMC, Vellore
In CMC, Vellore Admission to PG Degree, Diploma, PG diploma courses, and fellowship courses come under the Group B category. Admission to the MD/MS courses is done based on the NEET-PG score. All the students need to get into the NEET-PG merit list for admission to the PG courses with the required cut-off score.
PG Courses and Number of Seats
The Christian Medical College offers admission to various post-graduate specialization courses.
- The CMC Vellore provides admission to MD courses for various subjects along with the number of seats mentioned below:
|MD Specialization Courses||Number of Seats|
|Dermatology Venerol & Lep.||5|
|Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation||4|
- The CMC Vellore provides admission to MS courses for various subjects along with the number of seats mentioned below:
|MS specialization Courses||Number of Seats|
|Obstetrics & Gynecology||17|
Service Obligation at CMC, Vellore
- The service obligation of 3 years is mandated for all the MS/MD candidates, except for the clinical specialties (General merit category).
- Candidates admitted to the clinical specialties under the general merit category have a service obligation of 1 year.
- Candidates admitted to the pre-and para-clinical specialties under the general merit category, have no service obligation.
- For diploma courses, the service obligation period is a minimum of 2 years whereas, general merit candidates are exempted from the same.
- After the course completion, the service obligation is served at the CMC, Vellore or any of the associated mission hospitals.
Facilities available for the medical PG trainees
- Research activity of each department
- Medical records department
- Staff/student health clinic
Fee Structure for the Postgraduate Medical Courses at CMC, Vellore
The fees to be paid at the time of registration for admissions to the Medical PG courses (MD/MS) at CMC are mentioned in the table below:
|Particulars||2 yr Post Diploma Degree (in rupees)||3 yr PG Degree (in rupees)|
|One-time admission fees||1200||30,000|
*The course fee may change in the coming years depending upon the University rules and regulations.
NEET-PG Cut-off Score for MS/MD admission to CMC, Vellore
Based upon the analysis of the previous years’ cut-offs, the estimated cut-off marks for the medical PG specialization courses for admission at CMC, Vellore are mentioned below:
|Specialization||Estimated Cut-off Score|
|Dip. In Clinical Pathology||480|
|Dermatology Venerol & Lep.||540|
|Obstetrics & Gynecology||380|
|Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation||450|
Certificate courses after MBBS
The certificate courses offered by the CMC Vellore for the MBBS graduates are mentioned below:
|Course Name||Duration||Number of Seats|
|Accident & Emergency Medicine||2 years||10|
|Palliative Medicine||1 year||2|
|Acute Care Pediatrics||1 year||1|
- CMC, Vellore also provides admission to various higher specialty and Postdoctoral diploma courses and allied health sciences courses.
- After completing MBBS, a medico can also pursue M.Sc. Epidemiology and Master of Public Health Administration.
CMC, Vellore Hostel Fees and Facility
- Hostel Facility for MBBS Students: MBBS students live in the campus hostels. The Bagayam campus of the CMC, Vellore has girls’ and boys’ hostels. The girls’ hostel is named as ‘Paradise on Earth’, while the boys’ hostel is named as ‘Mansion of the Gods’. Boys are required to submit the hostel charges (Deposits and advance) of10,000/- and girls Rs.8,000/-. The approximate living expenses per month for the hostel are Rs.6,000/- for boys and girls.
- Hostel facility for other courses: The women’s hostel and men’s hostel for the students of allied health courses are named as the ‘Fitch Hostel’ and the ‘Dorothy Joske Hostel’. The ‘Modale International Hostel’ is allocated for the elective course students/visitor observer students from overseas. The hostel and its charges vary as per the student’s course.
All the hostels are well equipped with all the necessities of a student and other facilities such as a Hostel Chapel, recreation room, gymnasium, library, dance room, music room, prayer room, mini kitchen, TV/Projector room. The food facility with vegetarian and non-vegetarian food is also available for all the residents.
How does DigiNerve help a medico?
DigiNerve is an EdTech initiative by Jaypee Brothers, a pioneer and market leader in health science publishing with a legacy spanning over 5 decades. It provides top-notch medical content to enhance conceptual clarity, clinical skills, and ace exams.
In terms of the calibre of the courses, the variety of subjects, the Gold Standard faculty, and the user-friendly interface, DigiNerve is unmatched.
- DigiNerve provides best online courses for MBBS subjects designed by eminent faculty as per CBME Curriculum and NEET Exam, such as
|MBBS Online Courses||Course Faculty|
|Community Medicine for UnderGrads||Dr. Bratati Banerjee|
|Forensics Medicine and Toxicology for UnderGrads||Dr. Gautam Biswas|
|Medicine for UnderGrads||Dr. Archith Boloor|
|Microbiology for UnderGrads||Dr. Apurba S Sastry, Dr. Sandhya Bhat, Dr. Deepashree R|
|OBGYN for UnderGrads||Dr. K Srinivas|
|Ophthalmology for UnderGrads||Dr. Parul Ichhpujani, Dr. Talvir Sidhu|
|Orthopaedics for UnderGrads||Dr. Vivek Pandey|
|Pathology for UnderGrads||Prof. Harsh Mohan, Prof. Ramadas Nayak, Dr. Debasis Gochhait|
|Pediatrics for UnderGrads||Dr. Santoah T Soans, Dr. Soundarya Mahalingam|
|Pharmacology for UnderGrads||Dr Sandeep Kaushal, Dr. Nirmal George|
|Surgery for UnderGrads||Dr. Sriram Bhat M|
- Apart from the MBBS and MD courses, DigiNerve brings the professional courses ‘Ultrasound in OBGYN Made Easy’ and ‘Basics of Infertility and IUI Made Easy’ by the top faculty Dr. Chaitanya Nagori and Dr. Sonal Panchal. After completion of the course, the candidates will earn a course completion certificate from Ian Donald Inter-University School of Medical Ultrasound.
- An Exam preparation course ‘Cracking MRCP Part 1’ by Dr. Gurpreet Singh Wander and Dr. Archith Boloor, helps a medico with their preparation to crack the MRCP exam. Cracking MRCP Part 1 course is based on the curriculum devised by The Royal College of Physicians (RCP). The course has 15 online modules covering major specialties such as Clinical Sciences, Cardiology, Gastroenterology, etc. The course includes video lectures, e-chapters, 2500+ BOF questions, mock exams, and most of all high-quality notes.
How many marks are required in NEET for MBBS in CMC Vellore?
Ans: The estimated cut off score for admission to CMC, Vellore is around 600+ in the NEET Examination for general category. For the OBC/SC/ST & Minority groups, the estimated cut-off score is around 500 marks. For sponsored & management quota students, the cut-off range is comparatively lower.
Is CMC Vellore a deemed university?
Ans: No, CMC Vellore is not a deemed University. It is a private college, affiliated with Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University, Chennai run by the Christian community.
Is CMC good for MBBS?
Ans: CMC Vellore is ranked 3rd as per NIRF ranking 2022 after AIIMS, Delhi, and PGIMER, Chandigarh. It is one of the best medical colleges in India.