Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) is a public university located in Chandigarh, India. The college is recognized as an ‘Institute of National Importance’ and has been declared the ‘Best Hospital in Public Sector for Cadaveric Organ Donations for the year 2019-20’. The institution was inaugurated by Former PM Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru on 7th July 1963. PGI Chandigarh holds the 2nd position in the medical category, according to the 2022 NIRF Ranking and is among the best medical institutions in India.
Courses at PGI, Chandigarh
The college offers admission to various postgraduate, super specialty, and doctoral programmes in the medical stream. Apart from the medical stream, the college provides admission to various graduate and postgraduate courses in the paramedical and nursing stream. Additionally, PGI also provides diplomas, fellowships, and training programmes in the medical and para-medical fields. Several short courses are also offered by the college to trainees deputed from other institutions for specialized training and skill development. These courses are highly useful for doctors working in private practice or district-level hospitals.
List of MS and MD course specializations available at the PGIMER, Chandigarh
MD Specializations offered at PGI, Chandigarh
|MD||Community Medicine||3 years|
|MD||Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology||3 years|
|MD||Nuclear Medicine||3 years|
|MD||Obstetrics and Gynaecology||3 years|
|MD||Transfusion Medicine||3 years|
|MD||Forensic Medicine||3 years|
|MD||MD (Hospital Administration)||3 years|
MS Specializations offered at PGI, Chandigarh
The college also offers a 2-year Master’s in public health (MPH) course. In addition to the MD/MS degree, PGI also offers admission to DM, MCh, and Post MD certificate courses in various medical specializations.
List of courses with their specialization:
|DM courses||Addiction Psychiatry, Cardiac Anaesthesia, Cardiology, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Clinical Hematology, Clinical Immunology & Rheumatology, Clinical Pharmacology, Endocrinology, Gastroenterology, Haematopathology, Hepatology, Histopathology, Intensive Care, Interventional Radiology, Medical Genetics, Neonatology, Nephrology, Neuro-anaesthesia, Neuro-imaging and Interventional Neuroradiology, Neurology, Pediatric Anaesthesia & Intensive Care, Pediatric Clinical Immunology and Rheumatology, Pediatric Endocrinology, Pediatric Gastroenterology, Pediatric Hematology-Oncology, Pediatric Neurology, Pediatric Pulmonology, Pediatrics Critical Care, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, and Trauma Anaesthesia & Acute Care|
|M.Ch Courses||Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery, Cornea, Cataract and Refractive Surgery, Head & Neck Surgery, Neurosurgery, Pediatrics Surgery, Plastic Surgery, Renal Transplant Surgery, Surgical Gastroenterology, Urology, and Vitreo-retinal surgery|
|MDS||Orthodontics, Pedodontics, and Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery|
|Ph.D.||All Medical Discipline & All Non-Medical Discipline|
|Post M.D. Certificate Course||Cytopathology, Biotechnology, and Immunopathology|
The admission to MS/MD/MCh (6 years)/DM (6 years) is done based on the INI-CET entrance examination score, conducted by AIIMS, New Delhi. An aspirant must qualify for the exam with a high rank to get admission at PGI, Chandigarh. Admission to MS/MD courses is conducted twice a year and the new session starts in January and July every year.
Eligibility for admission at PGI, Chandigarh
- A candidate must have completed their MBBS degree and one-year rotational internship on or before 31st December/30th June for the January and July sessions respectively.
- Candidate must be registered with Central/State Medical Registration Council.
- The sponsored candidates are required to submit the NOC or relieving certificate from the previous organization/hospital from the respective Sponsoring Authority in addition to fulfilling other eligibility requirements.
- The Foreign National Candidates must have earned a comparable degree or the MBBS. To calculate the value of the grade in %, the candidate must receive a certificate of the grading system from his/her university/institution.
- The candidates who have graduated/completed their MBBS from a foreign University and want to pursue medical studies in India must pass the MCI screening exam or FMGE exam, conducted by NBE.
- The Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) candidates are required to apply against the Foreign National seats and upload their scan copy of NOC while filling out the application form.
- Sponsorship/deputation of candidates is only accepted from the following departments:
- Central/State Government Departments
- Autonomous Bodies of Central/State Government
- Public sector university affiliated colleges recognized by MCI.
All the admitting candidates will have to compulsorily go through the medical fitness examination conducted by the Medical Board constituted by the Institute. Medically unfit candidates will not be allowed to get admission at PGIMER, Chandigarh.
Mode and Scheme of INI-CET Entrance Examination for MD/MS:
|Mode||Computer-based test (CBT)|
|Duration||3 hours (180 minutes)|
|Type of questions||Multiple choice questions|
|Number of questions||200|
|Marking Scheme||+1 for every correct answer and -1/3 for every incorrect answer|
|Language of the exam||English|
Distribution and Reservation of Seats
- There are a total of 610 seats for the MD/MS course.
- 5% of the total seats are reserved for the SC/ST candidates.
- 27% of the total seats are reserved for the OBC candidates.
- For a minimum of two years, candidates who have worked or are currently working in rural locations with less than 5000 residents are eligible for 5% of the available seats for the MD/MS Course.
- The 5% seats are reserved for Indian candidates with Benchmark Disabilities (PwBD) as the provision of the Rights of the Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016.
- For the Sponsored/Deputed/Foreign National Candidates: The sponsorship for admission to any course at PGI is acceptable from the following departments/Institutions:
- Central Government departments/Institutions
- State Government departments/Institutions
- Autonomous bodies of the Central or State Governments
- Public sector colleges affiliated with a university and recognized by the Medical Council of India (MCI).
- For Foreign Nationals, there is a seat reservation for MD/MS courses but there is no reservation for the super specialty courses.
Fees for MD/MS at PGI, Chandigarh
|Particulars||Fees (in INR)|
|Registration Fee||Rs. 500|
|Tuition Fee||Rs. 250|
|Laboratory Fee||Rs. 900|
|Hostel Security||Rs. 5000 (Refundable)|
|Final Examination Fee (payable before examination)||Rs. 1000 for thesis evaluation
Rs. 1100 examination fee
The candidates who have secured the minimum cut-off score in the INI-CET exam as per their category are eligible for counselling for admission at PGIMER, Chandigarh. The counselling for the PGIMER and all other INI institutes is conducted by the AIIMS, New Delhi whereas, the counselling for the sponsored candidates is done at the PGIMER Chandigarh campus physically. The counselling is strictly done according to the merit list of the INI-CET entrance examination.
All the candidates joining the spot counseling are required to bring their complete documents with them. No extra time is provided to the students getting seats in the spot counseling round to complete any formalities and hence are required to come prepared to join the course on the same day.
After getting a seat in the counselling, the following papers in their original forms must be submitted by applicants for admission to the MD/MS programme at PGIMER Chandigarh, along with photocopies that have been duly attested or self-attested (after proper verification of the originals):
- Offer Letter
- Allocation letter
- Registration Slip
- Admit Card issued by AIIMS
- Mark Sheets of MBBS 1st, 2nd and 3rd Professional Examinations
- MBBS Degree Certificate
- Internship Completion Certificate
- Permanent/Provisional Registration Certificate issued by MCI/State Medical Council
- High School/Higher Secondary Certificate/Birth Certificate in proof of date of birth
- The Candidate should also bring the SC/ST/OBC/Physical Disability Certificate, if applicable.
The Foreign Nationals must register themselves with the MCI/NMC before joining the course.
Bond Agreement, Sureties, and Penalty Amount
All the PG residents must serve as Junior residents for three years and are required to submit an agreement and undertaking for the same. The candidates are required to submit two sureties at the time of admission on the non-judicial paper stamp of Rs.25.
If any candidate leaves the course midway, he/she will be penalized in the following manner:
- If a candidate cancels their candidature within six months of joining the course, then the penalty will be one lakh rupees (Rs. 1,00,000 /-).
- If a candidate cancels their candidature after six months of joining the course, then the penalty will be five lakh rupees (Rs. 5,00,000 /-).
Hostel Facility at PGI, Chandigarh
- The college provides the facility of partially furnished hostel accommodation for 800 people within the campus.
- There are separate accommodations available for the ladies, bachelors, and married residents.
- The mess facility is run by the Association of Resident Doctors’ (ARD).
- There is a refundable security amount of Rs. 5000/- required to be paid by all the hostel residents.
- Sponsored Candidates are not provided with the hostel facility.
- Other hostel facilities include guest rooms for residents’ guests, photostat, saloons, laundry, etc.
|S.no.||Hostel Name||Number of Seats|
|1||Married Doctors Hostel||184|
|2||Old Doctors Hostel||212|
|3||Kairon Block Hostels||122|
|4||New Doctors Hostels||160|
All the PG candidates getting admitted to PGI must serve as Junior Residents under the Residency Service-cum-Training Scheme.
PG Stipend/ Emoluments
The MD/MS students will be provided with the basic pay of Rs. 56100 as an emolument during the three-year postgraduate course.
For three years, each MD/MS student will receive a book allowance of Rs. 2000 per annum, except for those who are sponsored.
Submission of Thesis
Each candidate for the MD/MS programme must submit a thesis proposal within a year of enrolling in the programme. When completing the course for two and a half years, the student must submit the final thesis, and only after the thesis has been approved will the student be qualified to sit the final MD/MS examination. Any applicant who fails to submit their thesis plan within a year of admission will not be permitted to sit for the final exam, and their session will be moved forward by six months.
Except for Sponsored candidates, MD/MS Junior Residents are given a lump-sum payment of Rs. 5000 by the college to meet the expenditure of thesis writing.
Research Methodology Course
To be eligible to take the final MD/MS examination, an MD/MS candidate must take the Research Methodology Course within a year of enrolling in the course and pass the course’s exit exam.
To get conceptual clarity on MBBS courses online, click here.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
Q1. Is the MBBS course available in PGI Chandigarh?
Ans. No, the college does not provide admission to the MBBS course. PGI Chandigarh mainly provides admission to medical PG courses, including MD, MS, DM, MCh, MDS, Ph.D., and Post MD certificate courses.
Q2. How can I be selected in PGI Chandigarh for the MD/MS course?
Ans. To get admission to MD/MS course at PGI Chandigarh, you need to crack the INI-CET entrance examination. It is a national-level entrance exam conducted by the AIIMS for admission to MD, MS, DM (6 years), MCh (6 years), and MDS courses.
Q3. Is PGI government or private?
Ans. PGI Chandigarh is an autonomous body under the Act of Parliament in 1967 functioning under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India.
Q4. How many questions are there in INI-CET 2023?
Ans. A total of 200 Multiple Choice Questions are asked in the INI-CET entrance examination.