KMC, Manipal: Courses, Eligibility Criteria, Admission Procedure & Fee Structure
Kasturba Medical College (KMC), Manipal is the first self-financing medical college in the nation, founded in 1953. According to NIRF ranking 2023, the College is among the top ten medical colleges in India. All the medical programs offered by the university are recognized by the National Medical Council (NMC) and the Medical Council of India (MCI). Kasturba Medical College, Manipal is a constituent college of Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE), Manipal which is deemed to be a university recognised by University Grants Commission.
MAHE offers a wide range of Undergraduate programs, Postgraduate programs, Integrated Programs, Lateral Entry programs, Diploma, Post graduate Diploma, Advanced Postgraduate Diploma, Certificate, Postgraduate certificate and Fellowships courses in medical science, health and allied sciences, pharmacy, and technological field.
Admission to the medical courses (MBBS, BDS, MD, MS, PG Diploma, MDS, DM, MCh) is done through the national level entrance examinations whereas admission to health and allied science courses, Pharmacy courses, other undergraduate and master’s courses are done through Manipal Entrance Test (MET) or Department Test (DT).
Medical Courses at KMC, Manipal
The MBBS programme lasts five and a half years, including one year of required rotational internship. A month-long foundation course precedes the commencement of the programme. The college follows NMC norms for conducting its theory lectures and clinical training. The curriculum contains didactic lectures, self-directed learning modules, team-based learning sessions, problem-solving sessions, interactive assessments, and electives in accordance with CBME. It also includes clinical case presentations, benchside diagnostic training, emergency statistics lab postings, and mentorship for research.
Pre-clinical (Anatomy, Physiology, and Biochemistry), Para-clinical (Pharmacology, Pathology, Microbiology, Forensic Medicine, and Community Medicine) as well as Clinical (Oto-rhino-laryngology, Ophthalmology, Dermatology, Pediatrics, General Medicine, General Surgery, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Radiology, Anaesthesiology) subjects are the focus areas of the programme. Every stage of the educational process will integrate horizontally and vertically. The programme incorporates electives and skill modules. AETCOM courses have been introduced across several phases as required by NMC in order to strengthen the soft skills and effective communication among the medical students.
Eligibility Criteria for admission to MBBS Course
For Indian Board, obtain a minimum of 50% in each subject and combined in 10+2 grade in Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Biotechnology, and English from a reputable education board.
For IB, the compulsory subjects are Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English. IB Diploma or IB Certificate with a minimum of 24 points overall and 4 points in each subject is required. A minimum of three HL and three SL subjects are required to be eligible for admission.
Other eligibility criteria to be fulfilled to appear for NEET-UG exam are:
- The applicant must have reached the age of 17 at the time of admission or will have done so by the end of the year in which they are applying for admission to the first year of the UG medical programme.
- Indian citizens and applicants who are Overseas Citizens of India (OCI) must also pass the NEET (UG) entrance to register in undergraduate medical programmes in India.
- In addition to passing each subject individually, the candidate must have obtained at least 50% aggregate in Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Biotechnology, and English.
- The minimum combined score for Physics, Chemistry, and Biology/Biotechnology in the qualifying examination for candidates from Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes, Other Backward Classes (NCL), or Unreserved and General-EWS should be 40%.
- NRI and OCI applicants must submit a Certificate from the pertinent Indian Diplomatic Mission in the country of their residence along with their online NEET-UG application form to confirm their claim that they are NRI or OCI candidates. They must also save the original proof of this document so they can present it when applying for admission to NEET-eligible courses during the counselling process.
Admission Process for MBBS Programme
- You are required to register, appear and qualify for the NEET-UG entrance exam.
- After clearing the NEET-UG exam, you are required to do the online registration and fill counselling choices on MCC/ KEA/ JCECEB Portal. Then, go through the counselling and seat allotment procedure conducted by MCC/ KEA/ JCECEB.
- After the seat confirmation during the counselling session, go ahead with the admission formalities of the college.
Doctor of Medicine (MD) and Master of Surgery (MS) are three-year long postgraduate degrees offered at KMC in the medical stream. The college has 253 postgraduate seats including the super specialty.
The PG curriculum comprises training in basic medical sciences and allied clinical specialties. Training in Basic Medical Sciences includes lectures, journal clubs, group discussions, laboratory and experimentation work, exposure to applied aspects of subject relevant to clinical practice, and seminars. Training in clinical disciplines includes management and treatment of patients, clinical meetings, grand rounds, clinico-pathological conferences, practical training in diagnosis and medical and surgical treatment, and operations.
In the PG curriculum, training is given in basic medical science subjects along with applied and allied subjects related to the concerned disciplines. The PG students also participate in teaching the undergraduate students and interns, attend the monthly mortality meetings conducted by hospitals, and more. Training in Medical Audit, Management, Health Information System, Health Economics, Pharmacoeconomics, Basics of statistics, Exposure to human behaviour studies, and Introduction to nonlinear mathematics is also included in the PG curriculum.
The following specializations are available in the MD Programme at KMC, Manipal:
- Community Medicine
- Dermatology, Venerology & Leprosy
- Emergency Medicine
- Forensic Medicine & Toxicology
- General Medicine
- Hospital Administration
- Immunohaematology & Blood Transfusion
- Respiratory Medicine
- Palliative Medicine
The following specializations are available in the MS Programme at KMC, Manipal:
- General Surgery
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
Eligibility Criteria for admission to MD/MS Course at KMC, Manipal
- MBBS degree received by the candidate must be from the NMC and MCI recognized institution or college.
- Candidates must have finished the internship by March 28, of the respective academic year or earlier.
- Candidates who have earned a degree from a foreign country are required to be licenced medical practitioners in that nation and must acquire a temporary registration certificate from the National Medical Council (NMC).
- According to the Screening Test Regulations, 2002, all Indian citizens and Indian citizens living abroad who received their primary medical degrees from medical schools outside of India must have passed the screening test administered by the National Board of Examinations to become eligible for admission to postgraduate courses.
- Candidate must also follow all the eligibility requirements of the NEET-PG entrance examination.
Admission Process for MD/MS Programme
- For admission to various MD/MS programmes, you are required to register, appear and qualify the NEET PG entrance examination.
- After cracking the NEET-PG exam, you must register online and fill your choices for the counselling on the MCC/KEA portal.
- Then, online counselling and seat allotment is done by MCC. After getting admission, you are required to report to the college with the required documents and complete the admission formalities.
Postgraduate students also have an opportunity to join the PhD program conducted by colleges.
MD-PhD and MS-PhD Programme
Integrated MD/MS degree with PhD degree is an opportunity for the medical postgraduates to pursue their interest in research. The program also encourages the physicians to have a research-oriented career and channelise the existing clinical resources into significant research output.
Admission for Integrated PhD Programme can be done:
- During admission to PG course, one can opt for MD-PhD or MS-PhD Programme as per the specialisation.
- During the MD course, candidates can go with research and submit their topic which is then reviewed, and guide is assigned for PhD.
- After completion of Master’s degree.
Super-specialty Courses at KMC, Manipal
List of DM and MCh Courses with Eligibility Criteria
|DM Cardiology||MD/DNB (General Medicine/Paediatrics/Respiratory Medicine)|
|DM Gastroenterology||MD/DNB (General Medicine)|
|DM Infectious Disease||MD/DNB (General Medicine/Paediatrics/Tropical Medicine/Respiratory Medicine)|
|DM Medical Genetics||MD/MS/DNB (General Medicine/Obstetrics & Gynaecology)|
|DM Medical Oncolgy||MD/DNB (General Medicine/Paediatrics/Radiotherapy / Radiation Oncology)|
|DM Nephrology||MD/DNB (General Medicine/Paediatrics)|
|DM Neurology||MD/DNB (General Medicine/Paediatrics)|
|DM Critical Care Medicine||MD/DNB (General Medicine, Paediatrics, Emergency Medicine, Anaesthesia and Respiratory Medicine)|
|MCh Cardiothoracic Surgery||MS/DNB (General Surgery)|
|MCh Neuro Surgery||MS/DNB (General Surgery)|
|MCh Paediatric Surgery||MS/DNB (General Surgery)|
|MCh Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery||MS/DNB (General Surgery)|
|MCh Urology||MS/DNB (General Surgery)|
|MCh Paediatric Orthopedics||MS/DNB Orthopaedics|
|MCh Hand Surgery||MS/DNB Orthopaedics and General Surgery|
|MCh Reproductive Medicine & Surgery||MD/MS/DNB Obstetrics & Gynaecology|
List of Fellowship Programmes with the Eligibility Criteria
|Fellowship programs||Duration||Eligible Qualification|
|Fellowship in Advanced Obstetric Ultrasound||1||Post Graduate Diploma or MS Obstetrics & Gynaecology/Radiology|
|Fellowship in Diabetes||1||MD/DNB General Medicine|
|Fellowship in Fetal Medicine||2||PG Diploma/MS Obstetrics & Gynaecology/Radiology|
|Fellowship in Gynaecologic Oncology||1||MS Obstetrics & Gynaecology|
|Fellowship in Neonatology||MS/DNB (Paediatrics)|
|Fellowship in Neuroanesthesia||1||MD Anaesthesiology|
|Fellowship in Oncopathology||1||MD/DNB in Pathology or its equivalent|
|Fellowship in Oncosurgery||2||MCh/DNB Surgical Oncology/MS/DNB General Surgery|
|Fellowship in Paediatric Anaesthesia||1||MD Anaesthesiology/DNB Anaesthesiology|
|Fellowship in Pediatric Hematology and Oncology||2||MD Paediatrics/DNB Paediatrics|
|Fellowship in Skull Base and Head & Neck Surgery||2||MD/DNB in Pathology or its equivalent|
|Fellowship in Urogynecology, Female Pelvic Medicine & Reconstructive Surgery||1
|MS Obstetrics & Gynaecology|
|Fellowship in Interventional Radiology||1||MD Radiology/DNB Radiology|
|Fellowship in Infectious Diseases||1||MD/DNB General Medicine/Microbiology|
|Fellowship in Head and Neck Oncology||1||MS/DNB ENT/General Surgery|
|Fellowship in Geriatrics||1||MD General Medicine|
KMC, Manipal Courses and Fee Structure
MBBS Fee Structure at KMC, Manipal
|Undergraduate Courses||Caution Deposit (in Rs.)||Total Course Fee including Caution Deposit (in Rs.) (As per 2023-2024 Batch)|
MD/MS Fee Structure at KMC, Manipal
|Postgraduate Courses||Caution Deposit (in Rs.)||Total Course Fee including Caution Deposit (in Rs.) (As per 2023-2024 Batch)|
|MD Community Medicine||10,000||37,60,000|
|MD Dermatology, Venerology & Leprosy||10,000||85,90,000|
|MD Emergency Medicine||10,000||79,30,000|
|MD Forensic Medicine||10,000||14,65,000|
|MD General Medicine||10,000||83,56,000|
|MD Hospital Administration||10,000||51,10,000|
|MD Immunohematology & Blood Transfusion||10,000||58,60,000|
|MD Palliative Medicine||10,000||42,10,000|
|MD Respiratory Medicine||10,000||59,50,000|
|MS General Surgery||10,000||76,33,000|
|MS Obstetrics & Gynaecology||10,000||76,33,000|
DM/MCh Fee Structure at KMC, Manipal
|Super specialization Courses||Caution Money (in Rs.)||Total Course Fee including Caution Deposit (in Rs.) (As per 2023-2024 Batch)|
|DM Critical Care Medicine||10,000||49,60,000|
|DM Infectious Disease||10,000||49,60,000|
|DM Medical Genetics||10,000||66,10,000|
|DM Medical Oncology||10,000||72,70,000|
|MCh Cardiothoracic Surgery||10,000||49,60,000|
|MCh Pediatric Surgery||10,000||49,60,000|
|MCh Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery||10,000||49,60,000|
|MCh Hand Surgery||10,000||49,60,000|
|MCh Pediatric Orthopedics||10,000||49,60,000|
|MCh Reproductive Medicine & Surgery||10,000||49,60,000|
Fee Structure for Fellowship Programs
|Fellowship programs||Total Course Fee including Caution Deposit (in Rs.) (As per 2023-2024 Batch)|
|Fellowship Advanced Obstetric Ultrasound||6,00,000|
|Fellowship Gynaecologic Oncology||8,50,000|
|Fellowship Pediatric Anaesthesia||8,00,000|
|Fellowship in Pediatric Haematology and Oncology||20,00,000|
|Fellowship Skull Base and Head & Neck Surgery||20,00,000|
|Fellowship in Urogynecology, Female Pelvic Medicine & Reconstrucutive Surgery||8,50,000|
International Collaboration of KMC, Manipal
KMC Manipal has collaborated with international institutions all over the world such as Academic Medical Centre in Amsterdam; King’s College in London; University of New Brunswick in Canada; University of Lille in France; University of Mississippi in the United States; Ochsner Clinic Foundation in the United States for academic, research, and student exchange programmes to demonstrate its global credentials. Students good in academics and professional standing also gets the opportunity to pursue the elective courses from the international universities, such as from Yale School of Medicine, New Haven; Weil Cornell School of Medicine; McGill University, Canada; Flinders University, Australia; Boston University School of Med, Boston, etc.
Clinical Exposure at KMC, Manipal
For the benefit of the students, KMC, Manipal is affixed to a 2,032-bed teaching hospital. With top-notch medical facilities; the hospital is one of the biggest in the area. Students can gain additional clinical experience through the hospital’s community outreach programmes.
KMC Manipal Facilities
Other amenities at KMC include a gymnasium, sports fields, skill laboratories, museums, libraries, and an indoor multi-sport facility of world calibre. Wi-Fi is provided across the entire campus, and there are additional resources for e-learning, online library access, hospital and emergency care, counselling sessions for students and teacher-guardians, and inter- and intradisciplinary research facilities to help students develop their research abilities.
KMC, Manipal Scholarships
Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE) Manipal offers the following scholarships to its undergraduate and postgraduate medical students:
- Kalam-Pai, Freeship and Scholars Scholarship for MBBS & BDS Programs
- Merit Scholarship for Post Graduate (PG) Medical/Dental and Super Specialty (SS) Programs
- Scholar and Achiever Scholarship for All Other Under Graduate (UG) & Post Graduate (PG) Programs
- Scholarships for Academy of General Education Students (SAGES)
- Academy of General Education (AGE) Scholarship for AGE Students
- Merit Scholarships for International Students
- Scholarship for Konkani speaking students
- Merit Scholarship for Children of MAHE Manipal Alumni
- Scholarship Scheme of Interest Subsidy on Education Loan for MAHE students
- AICTE Tuition Fee Waiver (TFW) and PG Scholarships
- ITC Scholarship
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. What is the fees for MBBS at KMC Manipal?
Ans. The complete fees for MBBS course at KMC, Manipal is Rs. 70,88,500.
Q2. Is it worth it to study MBBS at KMC Manipal?
Ans. Yes, KMC, Manipal is among the top medical institutions in India, accompanied with 2000+ bedded hospital for the best clinical exposure for the medical students.
Q3. Is KMC college private or public?
Ans. KMC, Manipal is a private college. It is a constituent college of Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE), Manipal which is deemed to be a university recognised by University Grants Commission.